Anand Varadachary, CEO of Chennai-based Raksha Technologies, an implementing partner for IBM, spoke to BusinessLine about his experience with government agencies.
According to him, the latter are progressive in terms of adopting new technologies, keen on upgrading IT security-related areas and open to various suggestions.
C-DIT (Centre for Development of Imaging Technology), which develops web applications for the Kerala government, had recently deployed an IBM security solution through Raksha Technologies. A high risk of data breach and performance issues led C-DIT to seek a solution to improve the testing process and performance of the web applications, says G Jayaraj, Registrar, C-DIT. The IBM Security solutions will allow it to test applications prior to deployment and for ongoing risk assessment in production environments. Edited excerpts:
What type of vulnerabilities did you identify with C-DIT?
C-DIT is a complete technology-oriented organization that handles 92 per cent of Kerala government websites. Providing such organizations the right security solutions for their environment is our duty; we ensure that they are not vulnerable to attacks.
Identification of bugs in a web application and addressing them are the key challenges developers face. Recommendations for addressing the identified bugs is the task done by IBM AppScan. Addressing the vulnerabilities is a dynamic activity, where new threats are evolving and security vendors are equally working to protect networks against the same.
All government organizations need not face similar challenges as every IT environment is unique and should be addressed on a case-by-case basis. Mostly, all security solutions are applicable to every environment.
What have you done to secure C-DIT’s defences? Have you enabled detection, response and recovery?
After understanding C-DIT infra, we have deployed IBM Security AppScan software that they can use to scan the web applications being developed for the government. By automating application security vulnerability testing with the software, the organization reduces potential security risks, such as web application attacks and costly data breaches. Using the software, C-DIT can perform ongoing risk assessments on applications in its production environment. Next, we installed IBM Rational Performance Tester software, which is used to identify system performance bottlenecks and accommodate required user loads. To round out the solution, Raksha Technologies added 250 IBM Rational Virtual Tester packs to the software to emulate hundreds of people simultaneously using a tested application. Now C-DIT can load test and performance test web applications and correct any issues prior to deployment.
We are working on enabling them to have a defined network with multiple best practices that have evolved in recent times, which will help them understand the security framework for their network.
Is there an incident response team already in place at C-DIT?
Every web development team with the company plays the role of an incident response team. The team at C-DIT is already being trained with the new IBM products and they are in the process of upgrading the features of the product in the form of security updates. IT is changing dynamically, and IBM and we are working towards securing data and protecting networks from endpoint segment.
We will be concluding best practices to plug the gaps and address them on priority as it will help prevent data breach and any impact from threats in the future.
Will you have a presence at C-DIT to organize ‘live response’ on hosts, in case of a future vulnerability scenario?
We will be happy to work with their team to organize regular checks and tests with the new solution. But our assessment is that C-DIT is now better positioned to address any future threats by itself.
Matrix Lists Six Benefits of Unified Communications for the Manufacturing Industry
Matrix, an appreciated manufacturer of Telecom and Security solutions, recently added Unified Communication solutions to its product portfolio. Matrix Unified Communication platform, well known in the market as “SARVAM UCS”, offers a bouquet of features. The deliverables of the solution make it an ideal communication tool for retail chains, banks, educational institutions, hotels, hospitals and the manufacturing units.
Matrix, figured out some of the benefits of the solution from installation experiences of UC platform at many leading manufacturer’s facilities. The advantages are:
1. Enhanced Management of Globally Distributed Workforce: With the shift in working patterns, the number of mobile workforce is continuously increasing. There are many instances when numerous people operating in different time zones are working on the same project. Unified Communications brings employees working on multiple locations on a common platform.
2. Scalability: Matrix Unified Communication platform is scalable up to 3,000 users offering connectivity for new age and legacy networks. The Unified Communication solution is easy to install and is an ideal choice for supporting any company expansion plans.
3. Multi-location Connectivity: Matrix Telecom solution streamlines internal communication and offers easy connectivity for external calls. Peer-to-peer connectivity over IP eliminates internal communication cost and slashes down the external telephony costs.
4. Mobility: Smartphone/PC Unified User client helps desk employees easily connect with the mobile workforce. Sharing Presence Status, Drag and Drop Conference and Instant Messaging at the ease of a single touch from Windows PC or Android/iOS based smart phones, offers ease of connectivity and improves workforce collaboration. Furthermore, all these mobility extensions have the same extension number as that of the desk extension, catering to the manufacturer’s need of single number reach for mobile employees.
5. Boost Customer Relationship: Using smart phones or messaging apps is not new in the technological world. Distributors and customers require access to information of all the products present in the store with the manufacturer. Manufacturers also use bulk messaging facility for making announcements regarding an exclusive feature or launch of a new product. Using the SMS Gateway license, manufacturers can suffice this requirement. Keeping employees updated regarding the pending sales order, inventory and dispatch details through SMS allows sales manager to offer correct information and improve customer relationship.
6. Easy Management: Downtime has a massive impact on any employee’s productivity. Centrally managed web based intuitive user interface of Matrix systems offers hassle free configuration regardless of the engineer’s location, reducing system downtime.
“Matrix Unified Communications solution finds its applications in many other industries. Our DSIR recognized R&D is constantly working to add more features to help entrepreneurs scale up the technology curve and improve communication infrastructure at their facility”, said Sagar Gosalia, Sr. VP Sales and Marketing.- The Hindu Business Line